PennDOT District 6 has provided an update on the status of the long-term U.S. 1 Improvements Project, which currently has all construction work suspended in response to Governor Tom Wolf’s mitigation guidance regarding COVID-19.
On US 1 – Old Lincoln Highway to Rockhill Drive
- Reconstruction of the northbound lanes were completed in early 2020.
- Northbound section of new bridges over Street Road (Route 132), Turnpike Ramps, Turnpike completed in early 2020.
- Northbound traffic shifted to the rebuilt and widened northbound side in early 2020.
- Southbound traffic remains on the southbound side.
- Reconstruction of the U.S.1 median is underway.
- Existing median and pavement have been removed.
- Installation of stormwater drainage pipes, inlets and utilities underway.
- Demolition and construction of the middle portions of U.S. 1 bridges over the PA Turnpike, the turnpike ramps and Street Road (Route 132) underway.
- New turnpike ramps on NB side of U.S. 1 partially completed and under construction.
- Median area construction scheduled to finish in late 2020.
On Street Road (Route 132) – Kingston Way to Old Lincoln Highway
- Reconstruction of the eastbound lanes finished in fall 2019.
- Traffic shifted onto eastbound side in fall 2019.
- Reconstruction of westbound lanes underway.
- New ramps to and from U.S. 1 for both eastbound and westbound traffic in place on the eastbound side of the interchange.
- Old ramps on the westbound side of the interchange have been removed.
- Final drainage improvements, grading and soil stabilization currently underway in the area where the westbound ramps used to be.