Want to Know More? Give Us a Call: 215-244-9082

PennDOT Says Call 1-800-FIX-ROAD To Report Potholes

Highway Safety News, PennDOT News | March 1st, 2016

PennDOT encourages motorists to report potholes and other roadway maintenance concerns on state roads by calling PennDOT’s toll-free hotline at 1-800-FIX-ROAD.

The wide fluctuations in temperatures above and below the freezing point recently, along with water from the melting snow and recent rain, have created prime conditions for the development of potholes on Bucks County roadways.

Potholes develop when water that seeps into and below the road through small cracks in the pavement freezes and expands. As the water repeatedly freezes and thaws, a cavity below the road is formed and larger cracks develop, which destroy the strength of the pavement. When vehicles travel over these areas, the pavement surface breaks and a pothole is formed.

Callers to the 1-800-Fix-Road hotline are asked to be as specific as possible when providing pothole locations or other maintenance concerns. Helpful information includes the state route and segment number (found on small white signs along the road), the municipality and county. Callers should also provide a description of any familiar landmarks that will help PennDOT locate the problem area.

In addition to potholes, callers can also use the hotline number to report other state roadway maintenance concern such as roadway washouts, missing or damaged highway signs, high shoulder drop-offs and drainage issues.

Once notified, PennDOT will work to address the pothole and roadway concerns as quickly as possible as weather and conditions permit. During this time of the year, however — when the hot asphalt plants are closed for the winter — pothole repairs are temporary in nature since only “cold patch” material is available to fill the potholes. In the spring, when the asphalt production plants are back in operation, more permanent repairs can be made with hot asphalt.

The 1-800-Fix-Road (1-800-349-7623) number should not be used to report traffic accidents, disabled vehicles, or other emergencies. Motorists should continue to call 9-1-1 to report those types of incidents.