The County of Bucks has announced that after an extensive, eight-month rehabilitation project, it has re-opened Bridge No. 209 in Haycock and Nockamixon Townships, which carries Church Lane over Haycock Creek.
The bridge had been closed in August 2018 to allow for the $611,000 repair and upgrade effort. It is one of several bridge projects being funded with the $5 Pennsylvania motor vehicle registration fee ratified by the Bucks County Commissioners three years ago.
The one-lane bridge, built in 1928, is a single-span, reinforced concrete t-beam structure with a bituminous riding surface and stone masonry abutments. It is 45 feet long and 18 feet wide from curb to curb.
The rehabilitation project involved installation of approach guide rails with crash-worthy connections at the four corners of the structure, concrete repairs to the beams and deck, stone masonry repairs and re-pointing of the abutments and wing walls, and milling and re-paving the bridge and its approaches.
Countermeasures were installed to limit erosion along the abutments, and the concrete parapet walls and outside faces of concrete exterior beams were protectively coated with epoxy. A county bridge plaque commemorating the project was also installed. Bridge No. 209 is one of 114 bridges owned and maintained by Bucks County.